Tuesday 28 March 2017

Easter song and bunny craft for EFL learners



























Our Easter theme this year is focused around bunny rabbits. I want the children to learn a bit more about how Easter in celebrated in the UK and at the same time revise prepositions and parts of the face vocabulary. I'm doing this through a well known nursery rhyme and a simple bunny rabbit cup craft. I'm doing this activity with a group of children aged 3 to 5.


To begin the lesson, I hid a rabbit in a basket. What's in the basket?  I described the rabbit, slowly miming as I went. It's brown. It's got a small white tail. It has got long ears and a pink nose. What is it? I pulled the rabbit out of the basket slowly revealing its long ears. It's a bunny, it's a bunny rabbit. We all said hello.

I wonder what it can do? Can it hop? I asked the children. It can! Can you hop? I asked the rabbit. it could. I asked the children if they could hop and they could too. I repeated this with skip, go to sleep and wake-up. First the rabbit followed the instructions then the children.  They then took it in turns to give instructions too.

We then talked about why the rabbit was here. I explained that in the UK bunny rabbits hide chocolate eggs in the garden at Easter time. We compared this to French Easter traditions in L1.

I pulled out some chocolate eggs from the basket and I asked the rabbit to hide one. Where is it? Yes, it's in the basket. This was repeated with under and behind the basket. I asked individual children to hide an egg either in, under or behind the basket or the rabbit.

I then introduced the song and asked the children to listen carefully to wake-up, hop, skip, hide an egg and to do the actions when they heard them. I sang the song and we did the actions together. I asked them to go to sleep but to listen carefully. this time I sang the song again but I didn't to the actions but encouraged the children to do so. We repeated it a few times.

Here is the song that I have adapted to add an Easter element.

See The Easter Bunnies (You can find the song here: See the Little Bunnies)

See the Easter bunnies sleeping 'till it's nearly noon
Shall we wake them with a merry tune?
They're so still, are they ill?
Wake-up soon

Wake-up Easter bunnies


Hop Easter bunnies, hop, hop, hop
hop, hop, hop
hop, hop, hop
Hop Easter bunnies, hop, hop, hop
Hop, hop, hop, hop, hop

Shhhhh!! Go to sleep!

See the Easter bunnies sleeping 'till it's nearly noon
Shall we wake them with a merry tune?
They're so still, are they ill?
Wake-up soon



Wake-up Easter bunnies

Skip Easter bunnies skip, skip, skip
skip, skip, skip
skip, skip, skip
Skip Easter bunnies, skip, skip, skip

skip, skip, skip, skip, skip

Hop Easter bunnies, hop, hop, hop
hop, hop, hop
hop, hop, hop
Hop Easter bunnies, hop, hop, hop
Hop, hop, hop, hop, hop


Shhhhh!! Go to sleep!


See the Easter bunnies sleeping 'till it's nearly noon
Shall we wake them with a merry tune?
They're so still, are they ill?
Wake-up soon


Wake-up Easter bunnies
Hide an egg, hide an egg
Hide an egg, hide an egg
Hide an egg, hide an egg
Hide an egg


Skip Easter bunnies skip, skip, skip
skip, skip, skip
skip, skip, skip
Skip Easter bunnies, skip, skip, skip

skip, skip, skip, skip, skip

Hop Easter bunnies, hop, hop, hop
hop, hop, hop
hop, hop, hop
Hop Easter bunnies, hop, hop, hop
Hop, hop, hop, hop, hop


Shhhhh!! Go to sleep!


Cute....especially when they are all sleeping!

Main Language aims:
Vocabulary: Go to sleep, wake-up, hop, skip, hide an egg, bunny rabbit, revision of in, under, behind

Other aims:

Culture: Bunny rabbits (and not bells, here in France) hide chocolate eggs in the garden as part of the Easter celebration

Next week we shall be making some cute bunny rabbit cups to collect the chocolate eggs on Easter Sunday! This will be great revision of parts of the face and body vocabulary. I'm using the idea that I found here. Of course we shall also have an Easter egg hunt (revising those prepositions again) and we shall get to taste some chocolate eggs too! Yummy.










No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...