Friday 14 October 2016

Spider Web art for Halloween

Children do get so excited about Halloween! I thought I'd use that excitement to revise colours, numbers and body parts with my 6 to 8 year old students.




After doing a quick oral revision of colours (purple and brown are still difficult to pronounce), I then wrote the colours on the whiteboard and played a colour fly swat game which involves two children holding a fly swat each and swatting the colour as I say it.

To introduce the Halloween theme, I pretended I had something wriggling in my trouser pocket. I took a peep inside my pocket and described what I saw; Oh, it's black, it's got eight legs, it's hairy, it's crawling around in my pocket, argh!! What is it? I carefully pulled out the plastic spider and threw it amongst the children. Yikes!

I then asked the children to close their eyes and think about Halloween for 30 seconds, when they opened their eyes they were encouraged to tell the person sitting next to them what they thought (in English or in French). We brainstormed the vocabulary onto the whiteboard and then brainstormed the colours that go with them ie black (a black spider/witch/bat), red (red blood), white (a white ghost), orange (an orange pumpkin), green (a green zombie/monster), purple (a purple witch), dark blue (a dark blue sky).

We then started our craft activity. I used this spider web art activity over at Let's Lasso The MoonI first demonstrated how to draw a spider's web using white pastel; draw a circle, draw straight lines, draw curved lines.


When all the children had finished we continued by painting the cob webs with purple, dark blue, black, green and orange colours and finished off by sprinkling the paper with salt to give a mottled effect. As they did so they were encouraged to repeat the colours as they were painting and ask their friends for a colour if they needed it; Can I have the green please? Thank-you

In the follow up lesson we revised numbers. I then asked the children how many legs does a spider have? Some thought 6, others 8. We checked by counting them and discovered that, indeed, a spider has 8 legs! We then looked carefully at photos of spiders and observed that a spider has a head, a thorax and an abdomen. Using white pastels, drew spiders onto black paper, cut them out, drew on their eyes and they stuck them onto their cobwebs.

To extend the counting further some children estimated, then counted the legs on 2, 3 and 4 spiders!

All I need now is a good Halloween spider poem/song. Any suggestions?


Main Language Aims
reading and saying colours:
numbers: How many legs are there (on three spiders)? There are....
body parts: a leg(s), an eye(s), a head, a thorax, an abdomen.


Other Aims:
Revision of Halloween vocabulary with adjective/noun order
Listening to Instructions: write your name, draw a circle, draw some straight/curvy lines, paint, sprinkle (with salt)
Culture: Halloween is celebrated in the Anglo Saxon world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...