Tuesday 8 December 2015

Christmas Estimation Jar



I challenged my students with a pom pom estimation jar this week!



I put a few handfuls of sparkly green, red, and white Christmas pom poms of various sizes into a glass jar and stuck on a label:


How many pom poms are there?


We sat in a circle and I handed the jar around to each child asking them how many pom poms they thought were in the jar. We have a number line on the wall for those who needed to check how to say the number. They counted along the line in English until they got to the number they wanted.They told me their estimations I think there are.....pom poms.

Then they wrote them down on a cut out paper star (with their names written on the back).  They held their numbers up and read them out and then placed them into a basket next to the jar.


It's a great way to revise numbers in a meaningful way and learn about estimating too. We shall see who wins the chocolate prize next week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...